The Islamicist's journey comes to an end...

He's finished the deed, used all the food analogies (one could think of) and is now promoting it on the web space...

I enjoyed most parts of the blog (story/journey), although there were times when I thought "{raised eyebrow motion} hmm...?" Some things didn't sit well with me (and some were not funny), but all in all it did make me laugh. The food linkages were hilarious and very clever I thought. Here's a quote:
"The cakes of the West are symbols of their hatred. The croissant is an Islamophobic crescent, referring to the Crusades. And the Victoria sponge is named after a Queen who ruled the British Empire which helped destroy the Caliphate! Even the Rich Tea biscuit is a veiled insult, a symbol of the rich exploiting the poor tea-pickers of the subcontinent."
The final post, 'The End: Let this learn us all' was published today along with two other penultimate ones. The series is in 15 parts and it makes a good light hearted read, if anything. Although, some may say it's a bit too cynical and that we don't need such 'humour' infiltrating the Muslim platform but, why not? - if anything satire makes good for reflective thinking right? Right...

Also, I do wonder how many will actually understand the underlying tone of the "story" if they've had no exposure to HT or Ed Hussain? Will they get it? And I'm not even sure if the writer indented to come out from these angles, I am only speculating. It would be interesting to know the writer's, or rather the Islamicist's objectives? (Maybe we'll get a reply?)

And also, I do wonder what Mr. Ed (and others like him) think of it...

Read the whole series here.

Comments

Shak said…
I'm still struggling with The Islamicist. Apart from the deeper points he's apparently making, I just don't think he's funny and most of his stuff was just obvious and almost elitist satire.

But I'm clearly alone in this and he's obviously been a hit elsewhere (everywhere?), so perhaps I'm just dim.
Anonymous said…
It's creditable that he's been able to extend this over 15 parts. I can imagine it took a lot of thought to come up with the material, but there were occasions where you could see the quality flagging.

It could just be me. I like satire but when it's a bit more subtle and outrightly comical (I liked the writing behind The Thick of It).

Still if he's reading these comments, I wouldn't wish to discourage him from unleashing his talent for satire on a fresh subject.
asikha said…
Never watched 'The Thick of It' but I do like satire on the 'Bremner, Bird and Fortune'-level, maybe that's why the Islamicist appeals to me (more than most). Also, a large part of it reminds me of my early years reading the Adrian Mole series - which I loved. But most of all I like the writing style if not the content - the content is just fitting with the current climate - and I do think HTs and Eds need some knock-backs...

Popular posts from this blog

Finite Simple Group (of Order Two)

ye jo Jeff Buckley hai...

What Dreams?