Emerged out of a panel discussion yesterday at LSE. (ok, my tabloid beginning is done, the rest could sound a little boring...) Panellists included: Omar Faruk, Barrister, Chair of Southwark Muslim Forum Niaz Alam, Solicitor, Director of The Ethical Trading Initiative Dr Kamrun Hassan, something to do with Education Asif Saleh, Founder of Drishtiphat, a Human Rights NGO from Bangladesh Chair: a moody PhD student from King's College London. It was a Question Time sort of an affair on the future of Bangladesh but none of the panellists were actually a resident of Bangladesh (bar one maybe). It didn't stick to one agenda, Democracy and Theocracy were hardly the crux of the discussion, or maybe I missed it when I was dozing.. . Sharia The only main point I could find interesting to mention is the need to understand the Sharia. Most of us are ignorant of religious doctrines (myself included) and well a lot of us don't favour Islamic Law given the examples that exist, ie. Saudi, ...
Comments
The 5x13 diagram is fraudulent. Blue and Red (or Green and Orange) do not a true triangle make - ie BlueRed is not mathematically similar to Red. Proof by trig if you're bothered, or alternatively just compare the ratios of the relevant triangle sides (2/5 vs 3/8).
The areas of each respective shape do still add up to 64 of course, the extra bit comes from a sliver of area along the opposite corners - you can see it most by looking at the bit between Red and Green.
All credit goes to Johnny Ball by the way. He was (and still is) my hero. In fact I don't think I'd have been a mathematician if it wasn't for him.
Another one? 2=1
They should make Johnny Ball required reading you know.
Simon Singh is my idol, indeed. He should teach maths(/physics/science) to Britain I say, y'know. Forget training teachers, put Singh up on a large screen and he will solve Britain's maths problem.
:P
night.
Engineer: 64=65? 2% error, who cares.